Wednesday, July 7

Yummy in my Tummy

I took charge of supper tonight.  I love to cook, but since I am not in my own kitchen right now, I don't do it as much as I normally would.  I found a fun looking recipe in a magazine and since it is always fun to try something new, I decided to cook it.  Bonus:  It is healthy and it is freezable.  While I never actually freeze freezable recipes I do like to know that should the mood strike me, that I can make extra and store it away for a rainy day. I actually want to try cooking more "new" things in an effort to expand my go-to recipe selection..


Enchilada Lasagna

Prep: 25 min     Bake:  20-25 min     Yield:  8 servings

1 lb of lean ground turkey
1 large onion chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
1 pkg (8oz) fat-free cream cheese
1 tsp. chili powder
1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce
6 whole wheat flour tortillas (8in)
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheese

1. In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion, and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in cream cheese and chili powder.
(I added some frozen corn because it gave it more color, and added to the dish)

2.  Pour enchilada sauce in a shallow dish.  Dip tortillas in sauce to coat.  Place two tortillas in a 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray; spread with half of turkey mixture.  Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of cheese.  Repeat layers and top with remaining tortillas and cheese.
(I cut my tortillas in 1/2 to make them fit in the pan better)

3.  Cover and freeze for up to 3 months or bake, uncovered at 400' for 20-25 min or until heated through and cheese is melted.  Let stand for 10 min before serving.  Serve with salsa and sour cream.
(yummy)

A few notes from the cook:
-To use from frozen, thaw in fridge overnight.  Remove from fridge 30 min prior to baking, and the bake!
-I think that adding chopped zucchini would be absolutely delish, but unfortunately the grocery store didn't have any today.
-As a 2 person household (when Matt is home) I always struggled with finding recipes small enough not to leave a ton of leftovers, but big enough to satisfy us.  This is perfect!  I would use these recipe in the amounts it calls for, but I would make/bake only 4 servings and freeze the other 4 servings for another night.  Just use a smaller pan.

Enjoy Mi Amigos!

Nutrition Info:  1 serving equals 282 calories, 11g fat, 27g carbohydrates, 22g protein (without sour cream/salsa)

No comments:

See what else Monkey Loo has to share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...