Monday, February 7

Boast Chicken

Tonight after a long day of subbing, I came home and made a much more complicated meal than I intended to.  That being said...it was delicious.  I thought I would roast a chicken, and in my mind there wasn't much to it other than putting it in the oven.  But I was nervous.  I usually cook my chicken in the crock pot so I was worried that I was one degree away on my oven from setting the house chicken on fire.  

Even though I just said that it ended up being more complicated than I thought, don't be intimidated by the thought of "roasting a chicken".  Makes sense huh?
Let's get cookin good lookin!

I chopped up some fresh parsley that I had on hand and added in a few shakes of ground sage and thyme.  I mixed in just enough canola oil to "wet" the spices.

Then I prepared a carrot, celery stick, onion, garlic cloves,  and some more parsley to stuff inside of the chicken cavity.  You can really put in whatever you want.  I wanted to use a lemon, but it had sat in my fruit bowl too long...that tends to happen to me a lot.

Next, I minced a few cloves of garlic and mixed it with about 2 tablespoons of butter 

Using the spice mixture and the garlic butter I rub it all over the outside of the chicken skin.  I even like to get up underneath the skin on the breast of the chicken.  I also salt and pepper it at this point.

Personally I hate to touch raw chicken, but it is worth it.  Put it in a glass baking dish or a roasting pan if you have one.  I ended up adding about 1 cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the dish because like I mentioned before I was worried about dinner becoming a fire hazard.
Bake it at 425 for about 85 minutes for a 5 lb chicken or until the juices run clear. 

Totally worth it...see, I told ya!

Doesn't that look good.
And that is the story of how I roasted a chicken and lived to boast about it.



No comments:

See what else Monkey Loo has to share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...