Monday, November 22

Thats a yummy squirrel you have right there.

Why thank you!
I have a beagle and lets face it, as much as he likes to lay around and be my sweet baby, he likes to chase squirrels.  I found a really cute squirrel cookie cutter and I just made me smile, so I had to buy it.  I picked it up with the intention of making some dog friendly cookies with it to feed Duece.  How cute would it be to make him squirrel cookies...so cute.  I didn't though, I just made me cookies.  Bad mama!  They turned out really good though.
I have struggled in the past to find a cookie recipe for dough that makes good cut-outs.  My friend Stephanie had a great one and if you are interested in roll-out cookies you need to copy this down.

Cut-Out Cookies
2 c sugar
1 c butter
2 eggs
1 - 8 oz. container sour cream
2 t vanilla
1 t salt
2 t baking soda
6 c flour
Cream sugar and butter together.  Add eggs, fold in sour cream and add vanilla, salt and soda.  Mix well.  Add flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Chill dough for at least 2 hours.  Roll out dough, one fourth at a time, to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface.  Cut with floured cookie cutters and place on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 or 375 degrees to desired doneness (depends on how think you roll them and how crisp you like them).  Once completely cooled, frost. 

This is will give you a great dough that is easy to roll and cut.
My little squirrel friends just waiting to be baked and frosted.

Frosting for Cut Out Cookies is tricky, or at least it always has been for me.  Recently my mom finally was able to find a recipe that make a great glaze type frosting.  It spreads easily (I personally like to put it in a squeeze type bottle), and it dries hard so that the cookies can be stacked without the frosting smooshing everywhere.

1 cup of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 tsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp almond flavoring
food coloring

I mix it using a hand held blender.  I think that these measurements can be changed slightly to give you your desired thickness.  You should also go easy on the milk because you can always add more if you need it.  Same with powdered sugar.  Those measurements should get you started though. 

My decorated Squirrels.
I promise that next time I will make some for my dog.


No comments:

See what else Monkey Loo has to share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...