Wednesday, November 3

Bland Bland Bo Band

Vegetable #3  
Spaghetti Squash

I will say off the bat.  I was excited about Spaghetti Squash.  I had heard from several sources that I would love it, and I tended to believe them since I am usually a squash lover.  I definitely wanted to give it a try!
 
First I had to cut it up and boy, I might not have went to the gym today but I certainly got a work-out from trying to cut that thing up.  Seriously you guys, don't attempt it with a regular butcher knife.  Matt even walked in while I was grunting and said, "baby, do you need a chainsaw?"  
Yes, I do believe that a chainsaw would have made it A LOT easier, but my biceps and I got the job done.

Close up of what the inside of the squash looks like.  

I preheated the oven to 375, put the two halves face up on a cookie sheet.  Put a few tabs of butter on each half and baked it for about 45 minutes. 
After about 35 min, I flipped them over so they were cut side down on the cookie sheet.

After 45 min, they were looking nice and golden brown.

Scooped out the seeds

And you are left with two hulls like this.  I then put a few more tabs of butter inside the "boats" and sprinkled them with brown sugar.  I put them back in for about 5 min.

Then you just grab a fork and scrape the half out.  It just comes out in strands just like "spaghetti" (well almost).

One spaghetti squash filled up an entire dinner plate and was definitely more than enough for 2 people.


The Langford are ready to deliver their verdict:
I thought it was kind of bland.  Not really what I was expecting out of it.  I honestly don't know what I was expecting.  
Matt said, "It was bland".
I guess it is safe to say we were in agreement.  I am willing to concede the blandness was probably partly my fault because I didn't DO much to it.  I didn't really know what to do.  Most of the recipes I found online called for stuff that I didn't have on hand.  I think that we would be willing to try this veggie again but it would definitely have to be fixed a different way.  So if any of you adventurous veggites out there have a favorite SS recipe let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been told that you can use SS just like you would rice or pasta for a more low carb option. Maybe some grilled chicken with a sauce and some other veggies served on top would be an option? I'm going to give it a try once Brian gets home. We'll see.

See what else Monkey Loo has to share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...